This recipe is reproduced with the kind permission of the originator, Urvashi Roe, who was commissioned to produce the recipe for Lurpak®. No live yeast was harmed during the making of this loaf, as the recipe uses self raising flour and baking powder.
Ingredients225g/8oz self-raising flour 1 tsp baking powder 55g/2oz unsalted butter at room temperature 2 sticks of celery - finely chopped 55g/2oz baby leaf spinach - finely chopped 85g/3oz mature Cheddar cheese - finely grated 1 tsp salt 3 tsp cumin seeds - lightly toasted 1 beaten egg 4 tbsp milk
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C.
2. Grease a 450g (1lb) loaf tin and set aside.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl and the lightly rub in the Lurpak® butter till it resembles breadcrumbs.
4. Stir in the chopped celery, spinach, cheese and 2 tsp of the toasted cumin seeds. Add the egg and milk to form a soft dough.
5. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead gently into an oblong shape, which is roughly the same size as your loaf tin. Once kneaded place in the baking tin. Sprinkle the remaining cumin seeds on top.
6. Bake the loaf for 45 minutes until it is risen and golden brown on top.
7. Leave to cool and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. Serve with lightest butter spread on top.