For the Cake:150g/5oz butter 150g/5oz golden syrup 150g/5oz black treacle 150g/5oz plain flour 150g/5oz wholemeal bread flour 4 tsp ground ginger 1 tsp ground mixed spice 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda 2 eggs, beaten 4 tbsp milk
For the Topping:1 tbsp apricot jam 1 oz exotic dried fruit mixed peel or stem ginger drained and sliced
1. Prepare a long loaf tin either by greasing and flouring the base and sides, or lining it with oiled greaseproof paper.
2. Heat the butter, golden syrup and black treacle in a small saucepan until the butter has melted. Mix well, remove from the heat and allow to cool for five minutes.
3. Sift the flour and mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Gradually mix in the syrup mixture, then the beaten eggs and milk and beat well until smooth.
4. Pour into the prepared tin, and bake at 160° C/320° F gas Mk 3 for 50-60 minutes or until well risen, the top has cracked and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for ten minutes, then loosen edges and lift out of the tin using the greaseproof paper.
5. Transfer to a wire rack, peal off any lining paper and leave to cool.
6. To decorate the cake, spread the top thinly with the apricot jam, decorate with exotic dried fruit. I used cranberries and mixed peel or try some sliced stem ginger.Serve with herb tea and enjoy!