These delicious meatballs have a twist. They are made from lamb with chopped mint and chopped dried apricots giving them a uniquely fresh flavour. HelloFresh magic!
This recipe took about 40 minutes to prepare and cook. The meatballs are made from lamb, mint, apricot, onion, leeks, and served on a pearl barley risotto made with tomato, onion, leeks, garlic and stock. There’s no shopping as all the ingredients are delivered to your door in your ‘Recipe Box’. and recipes require the minimum of preparation because quantities are already measured and there is no waste. Cooking is easy because HelloFresh provide you with fully illustrated step by step recipe cards.
HelloFresh makes cooking fresh food at home a cinch. Recipes are changed every week, so you have new mouth watering menus. You no longer have to think about what you are going to eat, meals are planned for you by top chefs. If you are only having three meals a week, you can choose any three from the five recipes, and there are various packages to suit the size of your family.
Check out the recipe below, then head over to HelloFresh to try their delivery service for yourself. Bon appetit!
1 Onion (chopped)
2 Garlic Cloves (chopped)
4 Dried Apricots (chopped)
1 Leek (sliced)
3 tbsp Mint (chopped)
150g Pearl Barley
1 tin Chopped Tomatoes
1/2 Knorr Chicken Stock Pot
250g Lamb Mince
3 tbsp Dried Breadcrumbs
1. Peel and chop your onion into 2cm pieces. Peel and chop your garlic and chop your apricots into very small pieces, about 1⁄2cm (if your knife skills allow!). Chop the green leafy part and the root from the leek and discard these, slice the leek in half and then very thinly slice widthways. Roughly chop the mint leaves.
2. Put a saucepan on a medium heat with 3 tbsp of oil and add the onion, garlic and leek. Cook for about 5 mins with a pinch of salt and a grind of pepper until everything has softened. Spoon roughly a third of this mixture into a bowl and set aside for later (you’ll use it for the 3meatballs!).
3. Add the pearl barley to the saucepan with the onion mixture and stir, so that the pearl barley has a nice coating of oil.
4. Tip in your chopped tomatoes along with 400ml of water and half your stock pot. Add 1⁄4 tsp of salt, a good grind of pepper and 1⁄2 tsp of sugar (if you have any). Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat and simmer the risotto gently for about 30 mins or until the pearl barley
is tender and the liquid has been absorbed. Tip: Stir occasionally to stop the risotto sticking to the bottom of the pan! Tip: If the risotto dries out before the pearl barley is cooked, simply add a splash more water.
5. While your risotto is cooking, tackle the meatballs! Add your lamb mince, apricots, breadcrumbs and three quarters of your chopped mint to the onion, garlic and leek mixture you set aside earlier in step 2. Season with 1⁄4 tsp of salt and a good grind of pepper and mix well. Tip: Using your hands to mix combines everything much more effectively, so don’t be afraid to get stuck in there!
6. Shape the mixture into roughly 12 equal-sized small meatballs (about the diameter of a 50p piece). Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a frying pan and cook your meatballs for about 8-9 mins in total, or until each side is nicely browned and the meatballs are cooked through. Remember to turn them every couple of mins. Tip: Turn them gently so they don’t break up. Set them aside in the pan until the risotto is finished.
7. When the pearl barley is tender and has absorbed all the liquid, check for seasoning and add more salt and pepper to taste. Serve topped with your meatballs and sprinkle the rest of your mint over.